Do you have a cracked, knocked out, or broken tooth? Depending on the type of damage, you need to come into our dental office immediately for emergency dental care. Many causes of mouth injuries are the result of eating too hard of foods, falling, related to a sports injury, or another type of accident.
With a chipped tooth or minor fracture, you can wait until normal dentist hours to have a look at the tooth. However, if a large part of the tooth is missing, there’s a severe crack, or the tooth is knocked out, you need to see your dentist immediately. Some tips to preserve the tooth or comfort it until you can see your dentist include:
– Rinse your mouth with warm water.
– If bleeding, apply gauze on bleeding area until it stops.
– To reduce swelling and pain, apply a cold pack to the cheek or lips.
– Apply a dental cement; these are typically found at a drugstore.
– To alleviate pain, take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
If you have a knocked-out tooth, the best solution is to keep the tooth in its socket until you can see your dentist. Rinse it off to get rid of dirt and germs and keep it in your saliva to preserve it. You may also keep it in milk. Call our office in Chicago, Illinois, at 773-409-4097 right away to get in contact with Dr. Eliot Tokowitz and our dental associates about an emergency exam.