Implants and Dentures
Posted by SHEFFIELD SQUARE DENTAL on Mar 17 2022, 04:35 AM
Gone are the miserable days that one has to go through life with missing teeth. We now have options to replace missing teeth that look natural and restore the ability to chew and speak naturally. Dentures and dental implants serve the same purpose of replacing missing teeth and making you more confident in yourself.
Implants vs Dentures: Which Is Right for You?
Missing teeth are common, and one may experience reluctance to smile confidently. If you are having trouble deciding whether a denture or dental implant is the right option for you, let us take a look at the benefits and drawbacks of each option.
Advantages of Dentures
- Dentures are prosthetic teeth that can replace a complete set of missing teeth or a few missing teeth.
- They are less expensive when compared to dental implants.
- It is a non-surgical option to restore missing teeth.
- This is easily applicable for people whose gums and jaws are weak or unhealthy.
- Any crack on the denture can be easily repaired and modified.
Disadvantages of Dentures
- They are less comfortable than implants.
- They must be thoroughly cleaned regularly.
- Dentures may slip around making it difficult to speak and enjoy a favorite food.
- They are more vulnerable to tooth decay and gum diseases as certain food may trap them in between the dentures and the gums.
- They require frequent replacement when compared to the more permanent dental implants.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Dental implants are the artificial tooth root in which an implant is surgically inserted into the jawbone acting as a natural tooth.
- Dental implants are more natural-looking than dentures.
- Practicing oral hygiene care is more comfortable.
- Long-term solution for missing teeth.
- Bones and adjacent teeth are preserved.
- Enjoy your favorite food and speak more clearly.
Disadvantages of Dental Implants
- They are expensive when compared to dentures, many patients cannot afford the treatment.
- It is a surgical option that requires a longer healing process.
Choosing the right solution for missing teeth may vary from one person to another. Factors include price, preference, the health of your jawbone, and the health of adjacent teeth.
Both dentures and dental implants have their benefits and disadvantages. If you are confused about whether to take the right decision in regards to which solution to choose for your missing teeth, get the opinion from our dentist right away. Contact us at Sheffield Square Dental Care, 2835 N Sheffield Ave Suite 305, Chicago, IL 60657. Call us at (773) 880-2310 to book an appointment.