Dental contouring is the subtle art of reshaping the teeth so that your pearly whites can be ideally shaped. The teeth may sometimes be naturally out of shape, a condition which is known as misshapen teeth. In other cases, they may chip when you bite into something too hard or sustain an external injury. Your smile may be ruined in such cases, which is why you may find a great use for dental contouring to get a more aesthetically pleasing smile.
Composite bonding is a cosmetic dental procedure that involves the application of composite resinous material on the surface of the teeth. The composite resin is tooth-colored and can be customized to match the exact color, texture, and transparency of your enamel. By applying the resin on the tooth and hardening it using a curing light, any chipped or the naturally misshapen tooth can be brought back to its ideal contour.
What is tooth reshaping?
Sometimes, one of your teeth could have overgrown and may stand out amidst all your other teeth. It can leave quite a shabby appearance on your smile and may lead to a lot of embarrassment. Such teeth can be reshaped using abrasion techniques. The dentist marks out the part of the tooth that needs to be removed. A highly precise sanding or sculpting instrument is used to skillfully remove the extra portion of the tooth by gently grinding it. When the tooth is brought to its ideal shape, the dentist polishes it to give it just the right luster.
Advantages of dental contouring
- Contouring allows the dentist to eliminate minute surface imperfections to give you a flawless smile.
- The composite resin that we use for the bonding procedure is highly durable. It may wear only as much as the natural tooth enamel, which is quite negligible.
- The procedure will require very less chair time. In most cases, it takes only a single visit to the dentist’s practice to complete the process.
- The procedure is cost-effective. It is the most affordable option in comparison to other alternatives, such as veneers or crowns.
- Dental contouring is usually painless. This eliminates the need for local anesthesia to numb the tooth.
- Reshaping the teeth can be an alternative to orthodontic treatment that requires the use of braces or Invisalign.
Call us at (773) 880-2310 to have a consultation with Dr. Eliot, and learn more about dental contouring. We also serve Lakeview and Lincoln Park areas of Chicago, 60657.